Transform analytics by scrapping Legacy ETL tools for an modern cloud data pipeline
If you are running a homegrown ETL setup or haven’t taken a fresh look at your ETL tools in the last few years, it may be worthwhile to look at how you can simplify your data pipeline by switching to a modern, cloud-based Automated ELT tool like Daton.
Let us start by asking a few questions.
- How old is your in-house ETL tool?
- Did your legacy ETL solution start with one or two systems and over time, slowly grow bigger?
- What is the coverage percentage offer by your in-house pipeline solution? I.e., are there applications that the business is asking for but you have not covered it yet?
- How many developers do you have to build your legacy ETL solution?
- How many developers do you have to maintain your legacy ETL tools?
- Is it a full-time job for them, or is a good portion of their time going into this activity?
- Are your developers keeping with the API changes manually?
- Do you feel at times that your systems are not scaling?
- Are small changes requested by the business taking too long to be delivered?
- Is it becoming difficult for your team to deliver on the SLAs promised to the business due to shortcomings in your legacy ETL tools?
- Is your business asking for more flexibility when it comes to the frequency of data they have available for visualization?
- Are you experiencing a churn or a change in resources, making it harder to support the legacy ETL tools?
- Are your legacy ETL tools finding it hard to keep up with the changing ecosystem of applications used by your marketing teams?
Examples of Legacy ETL Tools
Data warehousing is an age old concept. However, it is going through a resurgence thanks to the tremendous progress made in public cloud technologies that turned a slow moving, saturated market into one of the hottest technology segments in the world at the moment.
Data warehousing and ETL tools go hand in hand. ETL tools provide the mechanism to move data from different data sources into a central data warehouse. They offer the capability to extract data from databases, files, and other applications, transform the data in a middle layer and load the transformed data into a data warehouse. One would often find Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, or Teradata as the preferred choice of data warehouse in companies that have already adopted data warehousing and Informatica, Pentaho, Oracle Data Integrator, SSIS, or Talend as the choice of ETL tool to move data.
This traditional setup typically involved purchase of expensive hardware, hiring of expensive resources to install, setup, and maintain the database as well as the ETL tools and often took months or years before businesses could realize the value of the investment.
Legacy ETL tools vs Automated ELT Pipeline
In contrast to the legacy ETL tools, an automated ETL or data pipeline involves no hardware procurement, installation, maintenance and upkeep. ELT Tools take advantage of the incredible progress made in cloud data warehousing technologies and push the transformation layer down to the data warehouse where the engine is optimized to perform data manipulations at scale. Daton is a fully-managed, cloud-based, no-code SaaS data replication product. Daton is a purpose build cloud data pipeline to support growing businesses in the cloud data warehousing initiatives to have access to enterprise technology at a fraction of the cost.
If the questions above resonate with you, then it is time to reconsider simplifying your architecture with Daton. What may have seemed to you like an intimidating transition away from your legacy system will start looking much easier once you start using Daton.
Sign up for a free trial of Daton today and try out one of our integrations. No credit card required!