Amazon Attribution serves as a marketing and analytics measurement console, providing marketers with an insight into how their non-Amazon marketing channels work on Amazon. While Amazon Advertising can help you get the much-needed attention for your brand and products across various relevant proximity sources, several non-Amazon channels are equally important in the purchasing process.
Amazon Attribution is a free advertising tool that enables brand-registered merchants to evaluate the effectiveness of their external advertising campaigns. This tool offers sellers in-depth statistics and insights to help them determine which non-Amazon marketing channels are most effective for their business.
You can quickly assess the effect and ROI of the display ads, search, social, video, and email marketing using Attribution. Using this information, you will obtain vital insights into how your consumers discover, investigate, and purchase your items on Amazon. Continue reading to understand how Amazon Attribution works, why you should conduct external marketing for your Amazon listings, and how to set up Attribution’s tracking tags.
What is Amazon Attribution
With Amazon Attribution, you can evaluate the effectiveness of your external advertising activities. This free application provides sellers with comprehensive data and insights, allowing them to determine which non-Amazon marketing channels are most advantageous for their business. Amazon Ads can boost traffic, demand, and sales across different Amazon platforms for your brand and items. Nonetheless, several non-Amazon channels, such as:
- Increasing the discoverability of your freshly released items on Amazon.
- Promoting awareness of discounts and deals.
- enhancing shop view optimization and landing page testing.
- Increasing page visits contributes to an increase in organic ranking, which aids in developing an effective Amazon PPC advertising strategy.
- Increasing Amazon customers.
You can measure the effect and ROI of the display, search, social, video, and email marketing using Attribution. You will discover how your buyers discover, investigate, and buy your products on Amazon. Amazon Attribution has begun unifying the multiple advertising measurement systems for firms that sell their items on Amazon, and this effort will continue.
Today, hundreds of companies utilize Amazon Attribution, which debuted in beta last year and allows shopping and sales impact data across all of their advertising initiatives. Through the dashboard, brands may gain cross-channel attribution, enabling them to better comprehend the performance of their digital marketing campaigns.
How does Amazon Attribution Work
Any vendor that utilizes Sponsored Products or Sponsored Brands Ads is aware of the importance of monitoring ad campaigns periodically to ensure they are profitable. You rely on Amazon’s information to judge keywords, bids, and budgets as a seller. But you may not be receiving a whole picture of your marketing efforts.
It’s vital to have performance data for campaigns you run outside of Amazon; you want to only blindly spend money on Facebook or Google ads if they’re effective. Before the availability of Attribution, it was highly impossible to track the performance of an off-Amazon promotion.
Amazon Attribution makes it possible to:
Determine which advertising sources generate the most traffic and sales for your Amazon items. If you conducted on- and off-Amazon ad campaigns in a given month and sold 300 goods, you could correctly credit, say, 150 of those sales to your PPC-sponsored advertisements. The origins of the remaining 150 consumers, though, would remain unknown.
If you had a tool like Amazon Attribution, you would have been able to determine where the other 150 buyers came from and the path they followed to acquire the goods.
Determine which audience methods improve the effectiveness of your campaign, so you may prioritize the successful external advertising efforts and discontinue those that are not.
With Attribution, you might have made the educated decision to eliminate low-performing channels and boost those that produced more conversions, therefore improving your campaigns for the following months and saving substantial money.
Learn which kind of language and visuals your clients respond to most positively so that you may build a marketing style for your company and plan future advertising efforts.
Attribution gives all the necessary conversion metrics:
- Rate of click-throughs
- Detail page views
- Purchases attributed to each “Add to Cart” advertising channel.
- Total sales
With this information, you may adequately optimize advertisements on many external platforms, including Facebook, Google, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and even email marketing.
What is the Amazon Attribution Process
Amazon Attribution is based on parameterized URLs, tracking URLs masquerading as something else. Any seller using Amazon Sponsored products or Brand ads understands the importance of monitoring the campaign metrics.
When people click on the link and visit your company’s website, Amazon can track precisely what they are doing, which helps the company improve its services.
In some respects, it resembles a hybrid between Facebook’s Pixel and Google Analytics in terms of functionality. It keeps track of everything clients do once they have clicked on your advertising to learn more about you. This information is made available via an easy-to-use interface.
After-campaign reports are no longer necessary for monitoring sales attribution and return on investment (ROI). Amazon Attribution gives you access to conversion information whenever you want it.
Brands can log into the console anytime and obtain reports as needed. You can bring all this data using our Amazon Attribution connector into a data warehouse of your choice! The sooner the marketers can get attribution analytics for live campaigns, the better they can optimize such efforts to maximize ROI.
They have increased availability, allowed social measurement, and introduced the capacity to do bulk operations to their platform.
Read more about different Amazon reports that benefit your business.
Who can use Amazon Attribution
Vendors and merchants participating in Amazon Brand Registry in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Spain, France, and Italy can use Amazon Attribution to acclaim credit for their products. However, this may change in the future, so keep your eyes open if you are in another country.
However, Amazon Attribution was made available to retailers in the United Kingdom earlier this year, but only in restricted quantities. This implies that merchants in the United States and the United Kingdom may now sign up for access via their websites.
Additionally, Amazon Attribution is ready, and the information is that the beta program is now open to qualified US sellers who have joined Amazon Brand Registry via Seller Central and are eligible to participate.
What are the features of Amazon Attribution
Amazon Attribution has many features and is not a mere tool for tracking URLs. We recommend trying these four key Amazon attribution features. There are several key elements that marketers want to take advantage of, which are paramount.
Full-Funnel Amazon Analytics
When you use Amazon Attribution, the number of sales funnel data points available increases. You are not restricted to merely conversion data, though. Instead, Amazon provides insight into how users engage with your products on their site, including measures like clicks, detailed page views, and the number of times people add your product to their cart.
On-demand Amazon Conversion Metrics
You can track the progress of your campaign in real-time. Because real-time information is available, marketers can optimize their marketing initiatives more effectively than they used to.
Insights from Customers
Because of the abundance of data provided by Amazon Attributes, marketers will be able to understand the behavior of consumers based on how often they visit their shops. Amazon Attributes can help you address queries like:
- What is the time when customers visit the website?
- Whether they immediately add a product to their shopping cart?
- Do the customers search and select a different product than they previously liked instead?
- Whether they are making any purchases at all?
Amazon Attribution allows you to answer all these questions and more.
Tracking each Advertising Channel Separately
Amazon Attribution enables marketers to generate unique tags for each marketing channel. It does not matter if you use Facebook Ads, Google AdWords, blog entries, or social media postings. You may create hundreds of tags so that you constantly receive specific information regarding the performance of each channel.
How much does Amazon Attribution Cost
Amazon currently does not charge for the use of its Amazon Attribution feature.
What kind of Information can you track using Amazon Attribution
Amazon Attribution allows you to track various indicators via Amazon ads API that might influence e-commerce sales. It also provides a comprehensive evaluation of your digital marketing activities by monitoring the following conversion metrics:
Impressions occur when your product advertisement becomes visible to a person, improving brand awareness.
Click-through rate is the number of times consumers click on the links, photos, or videos in your digital adverts that lead to your Amazon product listing.
Detail Page Views
Detail page views are the number of visits to your product page when a visitor clicks on a link from an ad that appears on a website other than Amazon.
Add to Carts
Add to carts refers to the number of times a consumer adds the offered goods to their cart after clicking the link from your off-Amazon marketing.
The purchase rate is the proportion of product purchases relative to the total number of impressions.
Product sales refer to the total number of product purchases made by consumers after viewing the associated advertisement.
Read more about other essential Amazon APIs.
How to use Amazon Attribution
Here are some ways you may utilize Amazon Attribution to gather insights on your brand’s influence outside of Amazon, with the ultimate objective of growing your company on Amazon.
Recognize the on-Amazon Purchase Journey
You may obtain insight into how your off-Amazon marketing campaigns that connect to your product detail pages or Amazon Store help customers discover and explore your products and lead to Amazon conversions. You may review data such as detail page views, add-to-carts, and transactions and then use these insights to encourage people to engage with your brand on Amazon.
Find New, High-value Channels
Determine which goods people purchase after clicking on your non-Amazon PPC ads. These data may be used to develop new marketing strategies and identify new opportunities to re-market, cross-sell, or promote new products, allowing you to boost the sales impact of your efforts and your returns.
Experiment with Different Creatives, Messages, and Techniques
Apply attribution tags to the marketing materials you wish to evaluate. Then, use the data to discover whether creatives, messages, or techniques impact your marketing objectives the most.
Gather Customer Insights coming from Social Media
Suppose you include Amazon attribution tags in social media postings that connect to your Amazon store and items. In this situation, you may get crucial data regarding how your followers from outside Amazon interact with your business on Amazon.
In addition, Amazon has recently introduced a click-based solution that provides in-app measurement, allowing companies to monitor the efficacy of their social media advertising campaigns based on how users discover, research, and purchase products on Amazon.
Amazon Attribution may now deliver shopping effect research across many media channels, including search, social, email, display, and video, due to the inclusion of social media ad measurement.
How is Amazon Attribution Beneficial for Sellers
There are three advantages of using Amazon Attribution. There are various reasons why qualifying companies should begin using Amazon Attribution as soon as possible. Here are the top three choices.
Get Full-funnel Insights
With Attribution, you can easily track the impact and return on investment of display, search, social, video, and email marketing. With that information, you will learn how your customers find, research, and purchase your products on Amazon.
Increasing the Efficiency of Existing Campaigns
Using Amazon Attribution, it is possible to get insights into how consumers engage with your business and the greater Amazon ecosystem. You can optimize your current campaigns to drive more users who convert and some who may not convert if you realize that traffic from one group converts better than traffic from other groups.
Measure Campaign Impact
Instead of depending on engagement metrics to determine which channels and techniques are most effective for your firm, measure genuine sales impact. To get a complete picture of the purchasing journey, account for all conversions, whether on desktops, laptops, or mobile devices.
Evaluate the Efficiency of Advertising Channels other than Amazon
You may find, comprehend, and analyze which non-Amazon advertising techniques are beneficial and which need to be modified with things and in-depth reports.
Optimize Digital Media Channels
You can improve paid and organic advertising initiatives to consistently increase product sales by using the insights from reporting on conversion metrics.
Prepare for Upcoming Marketing Initiatives
Understanding which advertising methods are effective and ineffective, you can plan and build future campaigns more efficiently while saving time and costs.
How to get started with Amazon Attribution
Amazon Attribution (Beta) is available to sellers that actively sell on Amazon and have access to Brand Registry. Vendors and Sellers can register them with Amazon to access the Attribution console and API.
Amazon Attribution tracking tags may be configured in two ways:
- This is utilized for traffic sources other than Google and Facebook and marketing initiatives requiring less precise monitoring.
- Sign in to Amazon Attribution and pick the advertiser whose tracking you wish to configure.
- To begin, click “New Order” in the upper left corner of this page. The order will represent a collection of line items that will monitor traffic data for the specified products.
- Select “Manually create order” from this page to get a list of all items sold by the Advertiser. Select the goods and variants you wish to track performance for by clicking “Add Variations.”
- In the reporting, performance metrics for all other items sold by the brand will be recorded under Total metrics.
- Create your first line item by providing a name and selecting the publisher. The publisher will be the source of the generated traffic. If the publisher is absent from the list, pick “New and the creation of your line item, including the URL of your traffic source.
- Copy the produced attribution tag to begin monitoring performance after creating the line item.
- This is possible for Google and Facebook advertising campaigns. Bulk Uploads deliver comprehensive keyword and ad-level data.
- Sign in to Amazon Attribution and pick the advertiser whose tracking you wish to configure.
- To begin, click “New Order” in the upper left corner of this page. An Order is a collection of line items that will measure traffic data for the specified items.
- Here, pick “upload file to establish order and tags” and then your publisher (Google or Facebook). Then, download the template for bulk file access to the Excel file.
- Follow the instructions on the “Instructions” page to populate the necessary columns using Google or Facebook data.
- Select “Upload File” inside Amazon Attribution to submit the finished bulk template.
- After uploading your bulk file, go to bulk operations to locate it. After the file has been processed, you may associate the items that will be tracked by clicking “add products.”
- Download the “Attribution Tags” and upload the “Final URL Suffixes” to the relevant ad platform once the file has been processed.
- Wait for one to two days after setup to confirm the correctness of your reports by comparing the clicks registered by Amazon Attribution and the traffic source. Due to variations in click attribution models, a modest fluctuation of 10%-15% is possible.
How to create an Amazon Attribution tag for a product
- Enter your Amazon Attribution account information.
- Select the advertiser’s name from the drop-down menu.
- Click the “New Order” tab.
- Select “Upload file to establish order and tags” for campaigns on Instagram, Facebook, or Guploading your bulk file
- For campaigns that do not use Facebook, Google, or Instagram, choose “Manually generate order and tags.”
- After selecting the mode of creation (Upload File or Manual creation), you will see a window with the advertiser’s items for sale. Select the product listing to which you wish to link, then select the Add tab.
- Proceed to the section under “Order Settings.” Create a unique and distinguishable name for the attribution tag to minimize confusion with other tags for product listings and campaigns.
- In the “Publisher” drop-down option, choose where the link will be placed, such as Facebook. If the publisher’s name is not shown, choose “New” and then add the publisher’s name.
- Steps 1 through 8 produce the attribution tag. Click “Create” after copying and pasting the tag into the Click-through URL.
- After launching your campaigns, you may begin monitoring and evaluating their success. The self-service console’s Reporting Insights panel provides access to pertinent reports. Note that Amazon Attribution employs a 14-day timeframe and last-touch paradigm for reporting.
- For instance, if you wish to examine search ad conversions as of July 31, the Attribution reports will include clicks on search advertisements produced in the fourteen days before the conversion date.
Why should you Drive Traffic to Amazon in the First Place
When you understand which marketing channels are most successful and how customers engage with your items on Amazon, you can begin to make meaningful, data-driven choices about your eCommerce business. These are the kind of choices that will assist you in increasing sales. For some, this may increase their investment in a particular marketing medium. Some businesses may choose to lower the price of their products, while others may decide to raise it.
Furthermore, new vendors are registering with Amazon daily. According to the latest data source, a million new vendors join Amazon annually. With so much competition, external traffic might be a lifeline for sellers trying to stay afloat.
Increase Seller Ranking
External traffic has the ability to enhance your sales volume drastically. Amazon uses sales velocity as one of the ranking factors in their A9 algorithm. The more sales you create, the greater the likelihood that Amazon will rank your items highly in the future.
Improve Keyword Rankings
When you drive external traffic to Amazon, Amazon will prefer your listings and assist in improving their ranking. Therefore, your organic ranking can rise if your external traffic increases conversion.
Amazon Attribution is the most effective method of monitoring how off-site traffic performs on the Amazon platform. It is essential to use Amazon Attribution if you conduct external marketing activities in conjunction with your Amazon shop and are serious about improving your Amazon business. Through Amazon Attribution, the ability to enhance marketing efforts and increase conversions has become more accessible and effective.
With the inflow of new data, understanding key metrics and drawing actionable insights are more essential than ever. Using our extensive Amazon Data Connectors brings all your Amazon data, including Amazon attribution data to one place. That is where we, Saras Analytics, can help with our eCommerce-focused Data pipeline (Daton) and custom ML and AI solutions to ensure you always have the correct ad data at the right time. Request a demo and envision how reporting is supercharged with a 360° view.