Amazon has outperformed other e-commerce marketplaces in terms of convenience and reach. The brand lists more than 353 million products and even surpasses Google to become the first choice for product-related searches. Consequently, it emerged as a major sales channel for online retailers.
Amazon keeps a catalog with a list of products, and each product has an ASIN number. Understanding ASIN is very important as it is the only way to keep selling products on the Amazon platform. There will be thousands of new ASINs are created each day on Amazon. The catalog number of Amazon is crucial for the smooth management of the product catalog for sellers, customers, and Amazon itself as it helps in easily finding the product and will avoid certain counterfeit-related incidences.
Below, we have provided an Amazon ASIN Guide 2023 to help you know all about ASIN and will guide you on how to create one for your product.
What is an ASIN Number
Amazon Standard Identification Number or Amazon ASIN is a combination of 10 unique characters, i.e., numbers, alphabets, or both. Additionally, Amazon ASIN acts as an identifier assigned by Amazon.com and its partners to a product. The reason for assigning ASINs to different products helps customers and sellers find out the product they are looking for from a catalog of a massive list of products. It is not possible that two different products to have the same ASIN.
There are certain exceptions related to the Amazon ASIN. A specific ASIN could be unique only within a marketplace. In other words, Amazon sites in the US and India can use different ASINs for the same product.
You need to add all your product ASINs to your listings as per Amazon Policy. If you violate the Amazon ASIN creation policy, it will suspend your selling privileges. So, it’s important to know how to use the right numbers in listings which is essential for every marketplace seller. It is important that sellers identify and use the correct ASIN for their products. Otherwise, Amazon won’t be able to organize and search your products for an optimized shopping experience.
How is Amazon ASIN Significant
ASINs play a significant role for both buyers and sellers. One of the essential functions of Amazon ASINs is that it delivers an accurate product search experience to the customers.
- The whole structure of Amazon’s product catalog is based on ASIN numbers. Since a unique code is given to all the products in the catalog, the sellers would be able to track their inventory accurately. Moreover, the major focus is on the potential customer’s experience finding the desired item.
- Amazon can accurately organize its index catalog pages with the help of unique identification numbers. Consequently, the shoppers can browse the products they desire to buy by going through different categories. Moreover, the customers can also type ASIN into the search box and locate the product that they are looking for.
ASINs play a significant role and will be used to track inventory for products, do reference catalog data, and index catalog pages for search and browsing on Amazon.com.
If you want to list your product on Amazon, you must match your product with an already existing ASIN or you will have to create a new ASIN number for the product.
What is Amazon ASIN Creation Policy
ASIN assists amazon in indexing the catalog and displaying the item as search results. Henceforth, you must identify and use accurate ASINs for your products as a seller. Amazon has also had an ASIN creation policy that keeps the catalog organized and prevents fraudulent listing, further ensuring the enhancement of the customers’ shopping experience.
What are the requirements for Amazon ASIN
There are certain restrictions on adding a new ASIN on Amazon, especially if you are a new seller. New sellers will be able to create only a limited number of listings until he has established a proven record of the sale of their product on Amazon. In simple terms, if your sales on Amazon increase, so is your capacity to make new ASINs for your products. Henceforth, if you want to increase your sales volume, you should prioritize the product you are listing. The more sales you have, the more ASINs you’ll be able to create.
How to create a new ASIN in Amazon
If you are a seller of a new product who is yet to create an ASIN and have no ASIN to boost, you must create a new ASIN to get listed in the Amazon catalogs. All the manufacturers and brand owners create new ASINs; however, the possibility is that one must always find a new product with very little competition. The advantage is that it can trigger up your chances of winning the Buy box and improve your chances of maximizing profits.
A new Amazon ASIN should be created in the following manner for your product:
- First, go to the “add product” option on your seller central account. The steps for creating new ASINs may vary depending on the type of product category.
- Next, you must choose the option that you are planning to add a product that is not being sold on Amazon.
- Then you must search and select the category.
- Usually, there are three main categories. After clicking on any one of the categories, the other will keep opening. This procedure keeps occurring until the one you wish to create appears. For example, if you open the category of personal care, it will further open skincare, cleansers, and so on.
- Once you choose the desired category, a page appears, and the seller must fill in some required fields.
- The seller must fill in all the blanks and later click on the “save and finish” option.
- Once the seller submits the form, Amazon will assign the product a certain ASIN code and will publish the same on the product details page.
Since you are now using the existing ASINs, other sellers are also in a position to see the ASIN that you have created for your product.
What is Amazon ASIN Duplication
Amazon made certain norms regarding product ASINs of which, if a seller intends to sell a product in the catalog, then he must match the corresponding product ASIN number with the existing ASIN by making an offer. If a product already exists, then creating a new ASIN for the same is prohibited. Then, the seller will be curbed of certain selling privileges he enjoys. On the other hand, if the product is not listed in the Amazon catalog, then he must create a new ASIN.
The seller must always use an appropriate code, such as UPC (Universal Product Code), ISBN (International Standard Book Number), and JAN (Japanese Article Number), while listing a product to avoid duplication of ASINs. Japanese Article Number (JAN) is a barcode standard compatible with the EAN.
How to use an existing Amazon ASIN
For retailers and resellers, the best thing is that they can use the ASINs which are already in existence for their product listings. However, as discussed earlier, there is an ASIN duplication policy, but the use of existing identifiers has its advantages. Instead of making a duplicate list, if one matches an existing product, then it will get the buyer’s interest and traffic.
When a list is created through your Seller Central account, one can search for existing ASINs by typing a product’s name, model, ASIN, etc..
After getting the result, the next step is to choose a listing under which a seller wants to sell the product and later add the necessary information, which will be crucial. If multiple ASINs appear to exist, the seller must choose the one with the relevant product details. But it must be made sure that he chooses the exact match while selecting ASIN for his product. On the other hand, if the customer’s order does not match the one they receive, it may lead to a negative impact.
What is the process of adding unique Amazon ASINs with ISBNs, EANs, and GTINs
When creating a new ASIN for your product, you should be aware of your product’s GTIN (Global Trade Item Number). To create and match the ASINs, Amazon makes use of 14-digit unique product identifiers. These identifiers are located near the barcode of the product. If you are unaware of this code, you must contact your manufacturer. You must complete your product registration with the GTIN code if you are the manufacturer.
How to do an Amazon ASIN Lookup
There are different ways for Amazon ASIN lookup of your item.
- The first step is to search for the product of your choice on Amazon and check with the browser’s address bar. In URL, you will find the Amazon ASIN after typing the product’s name and “Display Picture”.
- Alternatively, you should search for the item on Amazon and later navigate for the product details on the page. Product listings on Amazon typically require sellers to include crucial details. Customers may get a comprehensive view of relevant data in one convenient location. A similar strategy may be used to track down the ASIN.
- Lastly, you must use a third-party software tool that is built for the ASIN number lookup. Out of bulk upload, tools help us find the product we want and match them with the ASIN. Using tools can help us save time as it could be hectic in finding the product from the bulk available.
What is Reverse ASIN Lookup
Amazon reverse ASIN lookup is a reverse ASIN search that allows you to look up the top-ranking keywords that any Amazon listing of your ASINs or your competitors’ ranks. This will result in a comparison to looking up search terms and viewing which ASINs rank on a term-by-term basis.
Often, you will need to use specific applications to perform a reverse ASIN lookup. Using reverse ASIN lookup, you can monitor your competitors’ ranks. Using this information, you can formulate better Amazon PPC advertising campaigns to achieve better rank and visibility on the marketplace.
A product’s ASIN number is essential to its success on the Amazon marketplace. When a proper ASIN is established successfully with Amazon, it makes it possible for the customers to reach out to your products. This will, in turn, help you to sell more efficiently on Amazon.
Now you understand how Amazon ASIN works, you can supercharge your Amazon sales. ASIN will play a significant role in improving your product rankings. A valid ASIN number will help Amazon marketplace show your listings in search results to increase your chances of sales. With the increase in your amazon business, your data needs grow. That is where we, Saras Analytics, can help with our eCommerce Data pipeline (Daton) and Amazon Data Connectors, ensuring you always have your needed Amazon data at the right time. Request a demo and envision how reporting is supercharged with a 360° view.